For the first fifty or sixty years after tattooing became commonplace and even mainstream in modern society, few women got tattoos – in fact, those that did were the exception and usually a touch eccentric or rebellious.
All that changed about twenty years ago when tattooing became more socially acceptable, largely due to the many celebrities who publicly sported tattoos. Some of these were women, and so the female tattoo became more common and acceptable. Nowadays most people find female tattoos sexy and attractive, they certainly aren't offensive anymore.
That having been said it’s still true that more men than women get tattoos and it’s even true that there is a little element of social rebellion inherent in a woman’s decision to get a tattoo, although this is less and less the case, tattoos are more like a fashion item these days.
However, female ink is no longer shocking, and we no longer jump to conclusions about a woman’s moral character based on whether or not she has a few tattoos!
Small Female Tattoos
Many women are physically smaller and more delicately built than men and in general, we consider smaller, more delicate things more feminine. That’s why tattoos for women are generally smaller and prettier than male tattoos.
Woman with a full sleeve tattoo
It is rare, though not unheard of, for a woman to have a full sleeve tattoo that covers much of her arm., but usually feminine tattoos are more likely to be isolated in one or two areas of the body – as accent pieces, so to speak.
Women’s tattoo designs are also less heavy, less aggressive looking compared to men's tattoos. They tend to have thinner lines, though this is, of course, a generalization rather than a rule.
Top 10 Tattoo Designs For Women
Here is a top 10 of the tattoo designs that are popular amongst women:
- Butterfly tattoos: butterflies are perhaps the most popular subject for a girl tattoo. Click here to learn more about Butterfly Tattoos
- Tribal tattoos: the new tribal tattoo is popular amongst women as well as men. Women usually have them on the lower back (some call it a tramp stamp). Go here to discover more about Tribal Tattoos
- Star and shooting star tattoos: stars are probably the oldest symbol, that's why they have a strong symbolic meaning. They are universal, can be simple and small or combined with other designs. Click to discover the symbolic meaning behind Star Tattoos
- Flower tattoos: flowers have a natural beauty and are very feminine, it's not hard to understand why they are considered a girly tattoo design. Popular tattoo flowers are roses, daisies, lilies, sunflowers and cherry blossom. Each flower has a deeply rooted symbolic meaning and you can learn all about the meaning of Flower Tattoos here.
- Fairy tattoos: fairies are cute girls with magical powers, so it's not hard to see where the appeal of fairy tattoos comes from. Follow this link to find out more about Fairy Tattoos
- Heart tattoos: hearts are the symbol of love and romance and have been a popular design for tattoos since the early days. Go on to see what Heart Tattoos are all about
- Dragonfly tattoos: most women are not very fond of insects, but that's not the case with dragonflies, they are very well-liked as a tattoo design. They live in the same realm as butterflies and fairies. Find out more about Dragonfly Tattoos
- Dolphin tattoos: dolphins are animals that speak to the imagination. They are mammals, just like us, and are very intelligent. Some go as far to say dolphins are more intelligent than humans. Click to find out what Dolphin Tattoos mean
- Celtic tattoos: these are a kind of tribal tattoos. Popular designs are crosses, spirals and Celtic knots. Follow the link to learn about Celtic Tattoos
- Zodiac tattoos: if you believe in astrology, having your zodiac sign tattooed is a good option. Click here to discover more about Zodiac Tattoos
Women’s Tattoo Locations
Here's the top 10 of popular tattoo spots for women and girls:
- Lower back: lower back female tattoos are very popular for several reasons. First, it's a very feminine and sexy spot to have a tattoo. It doesn't usually show, but can be ‘flashed’ as the woman bends over. Catching a glimpse of a lower back tattoo on a woman, you almost get the feeling that you’re seeing something you shouldn't be – very tantalizing!
Lately, lower back tattoos are called "tramp stamps" by some because so many women and girls have a tattoo there. Don't let this put you off though, if you think your lower back is the perfect place for your tattoo, then by all means, go ahead. Getting a lower back tattoo because it is fashionable is not a very good idea though. More lower back tattoos...
- The inside of the wrist: this is a good place for a tattoo, it can easily be covered up by wearing a watch or a bracelet.
- Just above the ankle: the ankles are another popular tattoo place, very feminine. ,Also easy to cover up if you want to, by wearing socks, and not so problematic as foot tattoos. Ankle tattoos are usually small and can be very cute – just a nice accent for the ankle and foot.
- The feet: foot tattoos are getting more and more popular these days. Keep in mind that tattoos on the feet need more care and don't last as long as tattoos on other places. Learn more about them here: Foot Tattoos Pros and Cons
- Back of the neck: very nice spot to have a tattoo in my opinion and one of the less painful places.
- On the back, near the shoulder : also a popular spot. The left shoulder is traditionally the feminine side. Shoulder tattoos are a great accent when you’re wearing a tank top or halter top in the summer.
- The upper arm: very common place to have a tattoo, for women as well as men.
- In the pubic area: just below the panty line, above the v, very sexy.
- The hip: only shows when you're in your underwear or wearing a bikini.
- The calves: a tattoo on the calves is usually a large one.
I personally think it's a good idea to have a tattoo on a place that you can cover up, especially when your work environment is kind of conservative. Places that are easy to hide include:
- Above the ankles
- On your feet
- The hips
- The back of the shoulders
- Just below the panty line
- The inner wrist
Keep in mind when choosing a tattoo spot, that some areas of your body will stretch when you get older. This is especially the case after having children. Places sensitive to stretching are your stomach, your breasts and your bum.
Some Original Tattoo Ideas For Girls and Women
The most original tattoo is one that comes from you:
Now that you know the most popular feminine tattoos and tattoo places for women, it might be a good idea to deviate from the norm.
A tattoo is for life (at least until tattoo removal becomes more effective and affordable), do you want the same design everybody else has? Be original in your choice of tattoo, take or make a design that has a special meaning to you. It pays to be more creative than just going to the tattoo parlor to buy a tattoo design.
I think it's important to make a statement with your tattoo.
Here are some original tattoo ideas for women:
- The female sign is a very powerful symbol and is very cool as a tattoo design (might also be a good tattoo idea for men). It's also the symbol of the planet Venus.
- An "new" old school tattoo: anchor, swallow and cherry tattoos, the Sailor Jerry style of tattoos, were hot in the early years of tattooing and now they are in vogue again. The old school tattoo designs of today are more refined, brighter and have more colors than the originals, thanks to modern tattoo equipment.
- Chinese or Japanese symbols are not really original anymore, but there are other exotic scripts that are very suitable for tattoo designs, like Hindi and Tibetan.
- Tribal tattoos: I can hear you thinking: "what is he saying now, everyone and their uncle has a tribal tat ." True, but the modern tribal tattoos that everyone has are designs in the Polynesian style or in the tattoo style from Borneo. There are many other tribes and all of them have their unique style. Have a look at the tattoo designs from the Haida tribe for example, they are more colorful than other tribals and you don't see them nearly as much.
Source : http://www.freetattoodesigns.org/female-tattoos.html